What is an E-Gift Card?
An e-gift card is essentially a store credit that can be used at the sponsored retailer. Most retail outlets offer some sort of e-gift card for purchase. They are bought online and are forwarded by the store, via e-mail, directly to your inbox.
Do not confuse an e-gift card with a gift card. Gift cards are actual credit card looking items that are often displayed at the front counter of department stores. Gift card purchases allow a designated value to be ‘put on’ an actual card for the consumer to use when purchasing items at the store.
Where Do I Get an E-gift Card?
Convenient e-gift cards can be purchased from most stores. Walmart, for example, has a “Walmart Basic Blue e-gift Card” that can be purchased online for use at any online Walmart store.
The online gift market is increasing and e-gift card programs have become an essential part of a company’s business marketing strategy. Once the exclusive domain of big name department stores, small businesses are now providing e-gift cards.
How to Get an E-gift Card
When purchasing an e-gift card there are a few common steps to follow:
- Go to the store where you want to purchase your e-gift card from. Or go to a third party site like 1800giftcard.com or giftcardmall.com.
- Sign into your account. If you don’t have an account, make an account. Make sure that you supply a current, accurate email address. The sponsor store will send a conformation email notification to this address once the e-gift has been received.
- Select the amount you want to send as an e-gift card. This amount is usually set at 5 dollar increments starting from $10. Keep your credit card handy as stores require payment with a valid credit card.
- Enter the email address of the person receiving the gift. If you are purchasing an e-gift card for yourself then put your own address, or, if it is a gift for a friend then enter their e-mail address.
- Make sure this is a current actual email address. If the e-gift card is undeliverable, the sponsor store will verify the address and resend the gift.
- Enter the receiver’s name so the e-gift card can be personalized with their name.
- Select the design of the e-gift card. There are choices of which design to include on the e-gift card. The Home Depot e-gift card for example has six designs that can be chosen from the standard Home Depot Orange design to ‘happy birthday’ written out with a caulking gun.
- Enter your name. This is so the receiver knows who sent them the e-gift card. There is often a section where you can also enter a personal message.
E-gift cards come in directly into your email to be used at your leisure. Certificates, coupons and e-gift cards are fundamentally a fixed value gift that is used to purchase products at the supplying store.